Back to Top Skip to main content Skip to sub-navigation


When you were on active duty, you used TRICARE. You may have received care at military hospitals and clinics or from TRICARE-authorized civilian providers. Now that you're separated from active duty you may only be eligible for health care from Veteran's Affairs (VA). 

  • While the Department of Defense and VA do have some joint programs and facilities, the VA is a separate health care program. 
  • If you're retired from active duty, you may qualify for benefits from TRICARE and the VA together.

eBenefits Logo

Visit eBenefits, a secure environment where you can safely access your personal information and perform self-service tasks. 

Transitioning from TRICARE to the VA

The VA has benefit counselors and liaisons at the following military hospitals who can help you transition to the VA:

Veterans Affairs Links & Resources

Appealing your Service Medical Disability Rating or Eligibility for Medical Retirement

Your separation, retirement and military disability rating is a personnel decision rather than a medical decision. While Military Health System (MHS) providers do the medical exams used by the Services, the MHS does not make the decision on your eligibility. To find out more about changing a Service’s discharge decision, visit these sites:

DHA Address: 7700 Arlington Boulevard | Suite 5101 | Falls Church, VA | 22042-5101

Some documents are presented in Portable Document Format (PDF). A PDF reader is required for viewing. Download a PDF Reader or learn more about PDFs.