Back to Top Skip to main content Skip to sub-navigation

Filing a Pharmacy Claim

In some cases, beneficiaries will have to submit a claim to get reimbursement for their prescriptions. Educating beneficiaries on how to file claims will increase their understanding of the claims process as well as provide them with a resource to help them complete their claims.

Talking Points

  • To file a pharmacy claim, complete the TRICARE DOD/CHAMPUS Claim Form-Patient's Request for Medical Payment (DD Form 2642) and submit it, along with any other required information, to Express Scripts.
  • Occasionally, TRICARE experiences unplanned Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) outages. During a DEERS outage, you may need to pay in full for prescriptions filled at retail network pharmacies and file a claim for reimbursement.
    • If you have enough medication to continue taking your medication as prescribed by your doctor, you may wish to defer the pick-up of routine prescriptions until after the DEERS outage. Once the outage ends, retail network pharmacies will resume processing TRICARE pharmacy claims as usual.

Watch this video to learn more!

You also may be interested in...

Filing a Pharmacy Claim

Filing a Pharmacy Claim

Depending on where you pick up your prescription, you may need to file a claim to get reimbursed. Visit to find the claims submission form and where you need to submit it.

Recommended Content:

Pharmacy Beneficiary Knowledge Gap Campaign Toolkit | Filing a Pharmacy Claim | TRICARE Pharmacy Operations | Information for Patients: TRICARE Pharmacy Program
Showing results 1 - 1 Page 1 of 1
Last Updated: June 27, 2022

DHA Address: 7700 Arlington Boulevard | Suite 5101 | Falls Church, VA | 22042-5101

Some documents are presented in Portable Document Format (PDF). A PDF reader is required for viewing. Download a PDF Reader or learn more about PDFs.