Back to Top Skip to main content

Mental Healthcare Provider (MHP)

Date of Publication



A psychiatrist or clinical psychologist, a person with a doctorate in clinical social work, or a psychiatric nurse practitioner. In cases of outpatient mental health evaluations (MHEs) only, licensed clinical social workers who possess a master’s degree in clinical social work will also be considered MHPs.

Source of Definition

DoD Instruction 6490.04: Mental Health Evaluations of Members of the Military Services

Related Glossary Terms

Provider | Health Care Providers [DoDI 6200.06] | Health Care Provider [DoDI 6000.13] | Health Care Provider [DoDM 6025.13] | Health Care Provider [JP 4-02]

DHA Address: 7700 Arlington Boulevard | Suite 5101 | Falls Church, VA | 22042-5101

Some documents are presented in Portable Document Format (PDF). A PDF reader is required for viewing. Download a PDF Reader or learn more about PDFs.