Skip to main content

Military Health System

Test of Sitewide Banner

This is a test of the sitewide banner capability. In the case of an emergency, site visitors would be able to visit the news page for addition information.

Veterans Health Care Services

When you were on active duty, you used TRICARE. You may have received care at military hospitals and clinics or from TRICARE-authorized civilian providers. Now that you're separated from active duty you may only be eligible for health care from Veteran's Affairs (VA). 

  • While the DOD and VA do have some joint programs and facilities, the VA is a separate health care program. 
  • If you're retired from active duty, you may qualify for benefits from TRICARE and the VA together.

eBenefits Logo

Visit eBenefits, a secure environment where you can safely access your personal information and perform self-service tasks. 

Transitioning from TRICARE to the VA

The VA has benefit counselors and liaisons at the following military hospitals who can help you transition to the VA:

Veterans Affairs Links & Resources

Appealing your Service Medical Disability Rating or Eligibility for Medical Retirement

Your separation, retirement and military disability rating is a personnel decision rather than a medical decision. While Military Health System (MHS) providers do the medical exams used by the Services, the MHS does not make the decision on your eligibility. To find out more about changing a Service’s discharge decision, visit these sites:

You also may be interested in...

Last Updated: July 11, 2023
Follow us on Instagram Follow us on LinkedIn Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on YouTube Sign up on GovDelivery